2011-08-29

Paris is small for those who share so great a passion as ours

- Etch that on your feeble, doddering memory. Frédérick Lemaître.
...
Look!
- Not bad! You know her?
- Not yet!
- You smiled! Don't deny it! You smiled! Marvelous! Life is beautiful!
And you're just as beautiful!
- You've been running.
- Yes... after you.
- But you just came toward me.
- Yes. I saw you a moment ago. The shock! The emotion! Then you were gone. So...
- So?
- So as I refuse to follow women, I ran ahead to come to meet you. Now I'll never leave you. Which way?
- Simple. You go your way and I go mine.
- They may be the same.
- And why not?
- I have a rendezvous. Rendezvous? O Cruel Fate! Two minutes together and you leave me already! Why? For another, of course!
And you love this other one?
- Oh, I love everyone.
- I don't mind, I'm not jealous. But the other one is.
- How do you know?
- All men are... except me! But let's talk of us. There's so much to tell.
- Is there?
- Yes, there is. First, my name. Frédérick. Now tell me yours.
- They call me Garance.
- Garance. How lovely!
- It's a flower.
- A red flower, like your lips. Well?
- Well, goodbye...Frédérick.
- You can't abandon me all alone on the Boulevard of Crime! When will I see you again?
- Soon, perhaps. Chance will tell.
- Paris is so big.
- Paris is small for those who share so great a passion as ours.
...
- You smiled! Don't deny it! You smiled! Marvelous! Life is beautiful!

Arletty (Garance), Pierre Brasseur (Frédérick Lemaître) Les Enfants du paradis, Marcel Carné, 1945